During my regular visit to youtube videos ran into this cool DIY activity called as steampunk’d. Its essentially creating yesterday’s tomorrow!! There is also a game show on netflix which is pretty cool. Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction or science fantasy that incorporates technology and aesthetic designs inspired by 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery. After seeing what others have already tried so far I decided to give it a shot too.
After the initial visit to the local home depot realized that its not that simple as it seems. I decided to use 1/2″ black steel connections and those are very difficult to find. I had a vague idea in mind of what my end product would look like but I did not draw it out at first. As the quest for finding the right connections and most importantly getting to call a part by its correct technical name and not using metal pipe thingy every time started becoming a challenge; so decided to chalk it out.
So here is what I ended up with.
With reference to the above picture on the left, starting at the bottom are four 90 degree elbows already connected to four end caps. I will show shortly how that was done. Then I have 1″ nipples 4 of them, and 2 couplers on either side. Above them, I have eight 1/2″ close and then 3 T-joints. Then I have one 4-way connector, a cross coupler, 2 end caps and two 4″ long nipples . Above that I have a 3″ nipple another 90 degree elbow, a 1/2″ to 1″ reducing coupler and finally a stop valve. I also used four 1/2″ x 1/2″ PVC couplers which are not in the above picture. All this was purchased from various Home Depots (some closer to work, and some closer to home). Also got a rotary switch, R135-BL from amazon, beer bottle I had and decorative Christmas lights (50 count) again from Home Depot.
Above picture shows how the 90 degree elbow was connected to the end cap. The PVC coupler was essentially used for its threads. So sawed it using my oscillatory tool and then one end went in the elbow and the other end in the end cap.
Next inserted the lights into the bottle and tested it and they light up. Cut the extension plug from the end and sealed it with electrical tape.
Then built the legs. One set of leg consists of two 90 degree elbows and end caps, two 1/2″ x 1″ nipples, a 1/2″ coupler, a 1/2″ T-joint and a 1/2″ close.
Then connected the two legs with two 1/2″ close and a 4-way joint. Then installed the top part of the lamp stand, which has two 1/2″ nipples, a 1/2″ cross, two 1/2″ close and end caps. Also ran the wires as I was building the top part of the lamp.
Dissected the stop valve as shown above. Essentially all I was interested in was the stem. So took that out and it fit perfectly to the 1/2″ close. I had to add some plastic washers (which I had lying around from another project) to the stem to reduce the play once the stem is attached to the 1/2″ close. The hole of the washers was small for the stem so used my dremel tool to widen the hole and then also sanded them from outside so that fitted properly in the 1/2″ close.
Glued the rotary switch to the stem of the stop valve using loctite super glue and thus assembly of the stop valve to be used as a switch was complete.
Then I cut two small grooves in the base of the rotary switch and stuck a small finishing nail in there. This would basically hold the rotary switch in place otherwise it would just rotate in circles as there would be nothing to hold the other end in place.
Then soldered the wires. The negative from the wall (white wire) goes directly to the lights (green wire). Positive from the wall (black wire) is connected to one of the black writes from the rotary switch and the other black wire of the rotary switch is connected to the green wire of the lights.
Rolled up some electrical tape to make it double-sided and put it on the mouth of the bottle and stuck the bottle into the reducing coupler. It has threads in there so that gave the tape a perfect grip. That’s it – steampunk’d lamp. The stop valve acts a on/off switch.
Here is a link to the lamp in action.